Upon our arrival to our experience abroad in Taiwan, Dr. Jih spoke briefly in our introduction class and mentioned that this trip would and should be one of much self reflections. I took this notion to heart and have been diving into my brain and thoughts like a swimmer into water. During these moments of reflection I have come to the realization that I have developed a deep desire to learn and expand my perception of the world. By traveling to Taiwan, I have not stepped foot on six continents and over 20 countries (It's hard to keep track at this point). In doing so I have seen my perception and view of the world drastically change with each trip. As humans we have many preconceived notions of what we think this world is all about, and I think that by traveling to foreign lands we get to see what is right and wrong about these thoughts. Many of my hypothesis's have been correct, but many have been completely and utterly wrong. Sometimes in America we find ourselves surrounded by success and fame which causes us to feel as if were missing out or that we are unfortunate and lacking in our opportunities. Through traveling, I have come to the realization that I am so unimaginably luck to have been born into the life of immense opportunity and support that I was. The majority of the people around the world still struggle on a daily basis to obtain the needs for themselves, their family, and their community. In addition, what I have in the US, a car, a nice house, opportunity and money for education, great mentors, and supportive friends, is the dream and end goal of some many people of this crowded, yet not crowded, planet. After having some thoughts along these ideas, I have come to foster a great sense of thankfulness for all that I have and have been given. Not only have I reached a state of pure thankfulness for all this opportunity, but I have also developed a monumental motivation to utilize these opportunities to do all that I can do to help and change this world. It would be a shame to not make the most of something many can only dream of. I feel so grateful and thankful for all that life has provided me and showed me. Lets all together go do something big to make a difference.

No comments:
Post a Comment