This is something I wrote in the notes on my phone while riding on the bus through Taiwan to our next adventure. I did not know if I wanted to share it, but after today I knew I should. Here are my true thoughts:
This trip has been incredibly eye opening in a way better than I could have ever imagined. Dr. Jih started out the trip saying this was more of a relaxed trip with a stronger importance placed on self reflection and internal thought than anything else. I think that studying and traveling abroad is something that everyone should do in their life but especially while young when trying to find your way. The classes and experiences in my recent past such as dale Carnegie and the MTSU leadership class have helped lead me to discover this notion as well. Through all of this I have developed this deepened sense for a connection with every single human on planet either. I have never been one to be racist of one to judge those different than me, but this trip has completely reinforced my mindset that we are all the same deep down inside. We crave the same things, run from the same fears, and strive for the same greatness. The purpose of life is to serve, as Dr. Jih put it, and I am started to see the truth in this statement. As I reflect on my own life, I begin to think about the times when I have experienced the most joy and pure happiness. This was when I was in a state of selflessness and when I was surrounded by those I loved and that loved me too. It was the times when I was helping others to achieve greatness in their life. When I found someone who was down, and I helped them find a state of mind to stand back up and reach back for the dreams they always had. The purpose of life is not us, but for those around us. I am starting and trying to develop a new mindset that pushes me towards these types of haplessness and joy. Today I began writing a post card back to my boys in the Boro. The guys that will share the same roof with me for the next year and those that will share a year of their life with me. I want to set the stage of expeditions and connection that push towards the best year I've ever had in my life. With this new mindset of helping and serving others, I feel as if It is my duty to share some of these thoughts with my friends around me. Not everyone is fortunate enough to experience and see the world, and because of this I feel obligated to share these memories and thoughts with those around me. It would be selfish not to, and people would not truly know who I am if I did not. I have never felt like I've lived life so much as I am now. I am living in the moment and building intimate connections with those here and now. We're are adventuring in a foreign land with no responsibilities or fears. I am having this crazy revelation where I am beginning to see myself in ever other person. Kind of like that class saying, "put yourself in their shoes," but it is more than that. As I peer into the eyes of others I see their need for belonging, their strive for excellence, and their wanting to be apart of something bigger and more important than themselves. Deep down we are all the same and think the same. The only difference is where we were born and how we grew up and the past experiences we've had. If you were them you would be doing the same thing. We all see the world through our own eye glass, and a person in the present is their past all rolled up into one TODAY. Some people have not discovered this or do not thing this way and I must keep this in mind as well. I am absolutely loving life right now and I can't wait to see what else unfolds for me on this unprecedented trip.
Cayman 7/19/17

No comments:
Post a Comment